Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

Clash of Champions Reaction w/ Spoilers

Hi guys,

Apart from a few little off-ish bits, I actually really enjoyed Smackdown's Clash of Champions. There were some shock results (okay only one but it was the happiest shock ever for me), well deserved results and massive controversial results. So, on that note, here are my reactions from each of the matches last night! NB: There will be spoilers so don't read if you haven't watched it and don't want to know the results!

US Championship Match - Ziggler def Corbin (Champ) and Roode
This was the biggest and happiest surprise for me because I started the match worrying that Ziggler (who is one of my top wrestlers) was going to be nothing but a buffer but I was luckily wrong. As well as being a good moment for Zig-man, who finally got a win, it was also one of Corbin's best matches he's had since coming to the main roster. He plated the heel role perfectly with his taunts and good strong and brutal moves that showed his strength. I can't forget Roode as all superstars got some good offence in which meant that I really didn’t know who was going to win. There were no excessive amount of pins and they were all led up to nicely with a blockbuster or a Famouser and even a beautiful 3 man suplex off the top rope. It was a match that could've been higher in the card because the crowd was properly getting into it with the 'This is Awesome chants'. I also loved seeing Graves struggle to show support for one star since he would obviously love the heels Ziggler and Corbin but had to also maintain his love for the Glorious one. But, the match ended as well as duration with an End of Days with Zig Zag. I can't complain about anything in this match and yay Dolph!


Tag Team Titles - The Usos retains against The New Day and Rusev/ English and Gable/ Bemjamin
Christmas is cancelled because everyday is Rusev day from now on. Ther is no chance that Rusev and English are heel's because how does someone get a made up day over whilst moving his pecks with a huge smile - face turn or what? From the word go, this match was high energy fast pace and high risk from superplexes, submission moves and quick tags. It was a great match, even with so many participants, because everyone got a spot, even lil ol' Aiden English. With the roars of Rusev day from the arena, it shows how into this the crowd were which always makes a match better. If I didn’t know how the US title match was going to go, this was even more hard to call because of he sheer number of teams. As sad as I was that it’s not officially Rusev day everyday, I was elated that the Usos but this showed how good SD's tag team division is and how it's on Lockdown! 

Women's Championship Lumberjack Match - Charlotte retains against Natalya
Everything started well with the lumberjacks getting aggressive but there seemed to be an unfair heel/ face ratio which is never good in my books. However, it was definitely one of the twos weakest matches. I don’t think Natalya was as strong as I’ve seen her with a few botches and, eventually, the lumberjacks just took over and it all seemed messy. Also, with the Riott squad stopping Carmella cashing in, it’s all too repetitive of Corbin. If it had just been the 2 of them, it could’ve been a grade A match but it missed the mark. My highlight was Charlottes and then Naomi’s suicide dive off the top rope snd she wasn’t even in the match. But, I have to admit Natties promo at the end leaves a massive opportunity for a storyline and I did feel bad for her so she’s done her job.


Beeezango v Bludgeon Brothers - Bludgeon Brothers destroy Breezango
It's crazy how Tyler Breeze and Dango are one of the most over acts in WWE and this is the first time they’ve wrestled in months. Also, special shoutout to Breezy’s new shorts in his ring gear and that flawless ponytail ergo both boys look 🔥
We all knew it was going to be a squash match so the outcome was totally predictable. However, it didn’t mean that Breezango didn’t get some offence in even though it was short lived. Yet I can't say it didn’t hurt to see my babies hurt. Just push Breezango for heavens sake and let's see this career blossom to more than just a joke!

Career Match - Zayn/ Owens defeat Nakamura/ Orton to keep their jobs
Stipulation: Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan both referee's
Isn’t our Sami 'paper boy' Zayn a proper little heel now, even with the split chants for Zayn and Nakamura. From the get go, WWE made sure we saw the issues with having two referee's and it perfectly set this chaotic tone for the rest of match where it looked like it could go either way! The match was a nice mix of tension and proper decent wrestling. It was high energy, powerful with some high risk offence, especially when Nakamura went through the announce desk. It was great to see Daniel Bryan trying to be neutral with the blatant bias from Shane such as the glee when it seemed as if either Zayn or KO was going to be pinned. With Bryan falling into Shane after being hit in the eye by McMahon then pushed by Owens, it all seemed to fall to pieces. Especially when Shane stopped the 3-count, j mean I thought Bryan was going to beat him up (and he could) but that quick pinfall counf was the best way to end the match. Just as it was meant too! I really enjoyed this match and can’t wait to see where this goes on SD Live!

WWE Championship - AJ styles retains against Jinder Mahal
Even though it was the main event, it wasn't my favourite match of the night. Even though I absolutely love AJ Styles and every match he puts on, it didn't get me as excited as all of his other matches. I don't know whether it was because I've seen it so many times before: Jinder attacks a body part, interference from the Singhs and then the constant comparisons between size. I mean credit to Styles that he actually makes Jinder matches seem much better than the ones he's had with other wrestlers but it shouldn't be up to Styles to constantly carry Mahal through these matches. I appreciate the storyline of Styles getting injured but fighting back but I hope this chapter's done in the saga. Move AJ onto someone new and let's have some fresh title matches! AJ is still phenomenal but that lack of initial offence made it hard to really feel invested other than wanting AJ to retain. AJ always makes matches amazing but the lack of offence from Styles stunted my enthusiasm.

So, apart from the disappointing women's and title match (which don't hate because AJ was phenomenal), I honestly can't complain about this PPV even with low expectations I had. I can't wait to see what happens on SD Live because there's so much room for new feuds, storylines and opportunities so don't screw it up WWE!

Until Next Time,

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview