Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

Wrestlemania 34 Reactions *spoilers*

Hi guys,

Another year, another Wrestlemania and another mixed set of matches and results. I normally do this sort of thing match by match but I'm finding it monotonous so I am trying something different - maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Overall, I think that this year's WM was alright. There were some amazing matches, there were some meh matches, there were some good booking and there was some awful bookings of the superstars. 

The Pre-Show

The disappointment of the pre-show only came from the messy Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal because the CW championship and Women's Battle Royal was very good for a pre-show. The women's match was filled with rivalries and stories from the use of Paige on commentary to the NXT girls teaming together and giving the main roster women a run for their money. I was so happy and surprised that Naomi won but it was well deserved and could be the start of another push. I also can't praise Cedric Alexander and Mustafa Ali more for putting on a match in the pre-show that got 'this is awesome' chants. From the entrances (I mean they both slayed) to the storytelling to the perfectly executed and high risk moves, the two of them perfectly embody the 205 roster and show how much it has progressed! It was a great way to get the crowd and the audiences at home ready for the main card.


The Main Show

WWE started off the night with a bang through the IC title match with the Miz, Finn Balor and Seth Rollins and, as much as I hoped, I didn't realistically imagine Seth winning but his victory was the icing on the cake for probably one of the best matches of the card and one of the best opening matches in the history of Wrestlemania. All three guys were dynamic and fast pace and, even without the usual heel antics of the Miz, all 3 stars were as athletic and talented as each other - much to the disappoint of all those Miz haters I assume.


This was then followed by some great matches which included Nia defeating Alexa for the Raw Women's title, with some amazing spots and storytelling, the return of Daniel Bryan to the ring (I mean it didn't even seem as if he'd been off for so long) and even Kurt Angle and Ronda Rousey beating Triple H and Stephanie McMahon. All 3 matches were high paced and dynamic with some amazing storytelling from start to end. Everything I personally want from a WM card.


Also, in terms of storylines and concepts, John Cena's bout with the Undertaker and the Raw Tag Team Championship match was solid too. By playing the crowd with bringing out Elias, when the Undertaker came out, the reaction was phenomenal and something I haven't heard before. Followed by the squash match for John Cena where the Undertaker really showed how amazing he is, even after all of these years. I can't forget how sweet Braun was by getting a fan in the ring. I know some people didn't like it but it was the perfect way to get Braun the titles with no commitment to a tag team partner.

There were also some matches which, technically were quite good or amazing, but the result of the booking really dampened it. Firstly, I have to give props to Charlotte and Asuka for putting on one of the best matches of the night. Both superstars were so dominant and there was that 450 Spanish Fly from Charlotte and Asuka's submission manoeuvres which really elevated this match thus making it one of my favourite women's WM matches ever. Also, AJ Styles v Nakamura (even with the time constraints) put on a hella good match and turning Nakamura heel was just as shocking as Roderick Strong turning at Takeover the night before (definitely watch the show if you can, it was amazing). However, my issues come mainly with the outcome. WWE have spent years building up Asuka to be a dominant and unbeatable force, just to have her lose from a submission that quickly. WWE have built this match for AJ and Nakamura for months just to have Shinsuke defeated by the Styles Clash. The worst had to be stopping Asuka's undefeated streak. I am happy it was Charlotte, compared to having it have been Ronda Rousey or someone, but it was stupid and now removes the importance of her character. Overall, these two results ruined the effect of the matches and stopped a really amazing post-WM storyline.


The fact that the previous matches were good sort of lessened the issues of the results. However, for me, the US title match and SD tag team match really disappointed me. I didn't have high hopes for the US match anyway but, with the addition of Rusev, it sort of god slightly elevated. Yet, except for some cracking spots by Rusev and Aiden English, the results and the rest of the match was just lack luster. I also felt the same for the SD Tag Team match which upset me because I love all three of these teams and it just didn't meet my expectations. I know it was short because the Bludgeon Brothers were meant to dominate the other 2, but, as well as being messy, it didn't allow The Usos or The New Day to shine at all and just seemed like a bumbling and chaotic match. 

Now, onto the Universal Title match and what can I say... they left the worst for last as shown by the 'This is Awful' chants. Kudos though to Roman Reigns for holding this feud for the last few months but it really was flat and probably the worst way to end a decent-ish night. There was blood, F-5's, Superman punches and spears... all a bit predictable. And, after all this shit, we still have a part-timer as a champion who I've never cared for.

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview