Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

Best of Super Jr 25 (Spoilers)

Hi guys,

It's been about two months since I first started watching New Japan Pro Wrestling and I can most definitely say that I'm hooked (I mean I'm even going to see them when they come to the UK in July). So, the Best of Super Junior 25 has been the first NJPW tournament that I have been able to watch pretty much live (or a few hours later because of time differences) and I've been surprised at how invested I stayed from the start to the end. 

There were a lot of superstars that I already knew pretty well before the tournament like Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, Flip Gordon, Takahashi, Kushida and Taiji Ishimori. There were some I knew by name like Sho and Yoh and some I had no idea about like Chris Sabin, ACH, Taguchi and the rest of the participants. But, as well as putting hell-a-good matches, the tournament had some great storylines and kept me invested even in the house shows that were shown on NJPW World and some of the tag matches before the proper tournament matches - I mean it was all go from the BOSJ Press Conference.

We had the craziness of Takahashi's book of opponents, Marty Scurll's hunt for numpty's and Flip still trying to get booked for All In, I mean this tournament had it all! In terms of matches, we had an adorable CHAOS match between Will Ospreay v Yoh, Taguchi beating Kushida in record time and all of the wrestlers having their time to shine!

After all of these matches, we were left with the Bone Soldier and Takahashi (after a sweet semi final with Chase Owens on English Commentary) and NJPW put on a hell of a final with some amazing matches which led to the anticipated BOSJ Final! We started the show with Flip Gordon and Chris Sabin (who has become a new favourite for me) defeating Tiger Mask and young lion Shota Umino (son of Red Shoes) in a fast paced and charismatic match and then matches involving the members of CHAOS, Suzuki Gun and Bullet Club. We saw a few post match attacks and the amazing addition of a surprised video message from Chris Jericho to build up the IC match with Naito this weekend at Dominion!

Apart from the final match itself, the highlight for me had to be Okada and Will Ospreay defeating the amazing team of Chase Owens and Kota Ibushi! With added fun coming from Chris Sabin on commentary, who spent most of the match fangirling Okada, this match was a mix of story-telling and high paced, high flying action that I love watching. I think this tournament has also really shown how underrated Chase Owens is an in-ring competitor, story teller and seller. Having the three of them in the ring with Okada just made magic in the ring and a great match to lead to the main event!

With the AMAZING finale match between Ishimori and Takahashi ending the show, it was the perfect way to end the amazing tournament and I was pretty much on the edge of my seat the entire time! I think I spent the whole final thinking Ishimori would win just because we've seen Ospreay v Takahashi before, but, when it got to the match, I just had no idea. It was fast paced, full of false finishes and the definition of what the Junior Division is about! We had the coast to coast drop kick from Takahashi early in the match, which was followed by a sort of hurricanrana down the steps, submissions and Time Bombs galore - I mean it was mental crazy! At the end of it all, Hiromu came out on top and, even though the crowd were always behind Takahashi, they had so much respect for the Bone Solider because it was one hell of a match!

I mean I knew NJPW always put on great matches and cards but this tournament has blown me away and I didn't think I'd have managed to stay interested throughout the thing - but I did! I can't wait for the Ospreay v Takahashi match at Dominion and he deserved the win!

Here's to Dominion this Saturday!

Until Next Time

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview