Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

NJPW G1: The story so far

Hi guys,

It's been a crazy few weeks of this years NJPW G1 Climax and it's been so exciting for me because it's the first time watching this tournament when it happens! So, in the lead up to the final two block days and the final on the 12 Aug at Budokan Hall, here's my review of the last few weeks, including some of the highlights, the storytelling and what I expect from the last few days of matches!

Even though I'll probably do another post with my top 5 matches of the ENTIRE G1, this tournament really has had some amazing matches in the first few weeks! We've had the pure beauty of matches like Okada v Naito, Ibushi v Ishii, Ishii v Kenny and Jay White v Tanahashi, which were all just pure brutal wrestling that made me want to hide behind my pillow. There's been matches that have surprised me at how invested I got into them like Sanada v Ibushi and Ibushi v Juice Robinson. I don't think there's been one match where I've been bored or not been at the edge of my seat, which includes the preview tag matches before. We got to see the talent of some of the top stars in the company but also the Young Lions, the Jr Heavyweights and the Heavyweights who were missed out of the G1 lineup this year and had something to prove.


There's also been been loads of anticipation for some of the match ups in the lead up to this year's G1. This's been because of the storylines and I've seen so much development within all the factions, through the storylines, which have really helped give a lot of the matches meaning and purpose. Yet, unlike other promotions (ehem), the story lines have mainly only helped the matches instead of taking the main focus! One of the most important ones going into it was the Bullet Club split and the Tongans really made a point of saying that they couldn't have given a shit about the points or rules - as shown by all the DQs and involvement of the other guys, especially Tanga Loa. However, as good as this storyline started to be, it's been getting a bit boring and there's only so much of Tongan trouble I can take before I see them starting to ruin matches.


On the brighter side, we have my boy Switchblade Jay White causing chaos! Since the start, people questioned Jay's ways of winning but, come on, they're wins at the end of the day and his matches have been some of my favourite to watch! We all know that Chaos haven't been doing great lately and Jay is on this mission to change that by getting them back on top! All Jay wants is for his talent to get Chaos back to their former glory and is that such a bad thing? Whatever your thoughts are, you have to admit that it's been a great story and who knows, it could become the Switchblade's Chaos - much to the fear of Rocky Romero! We've also had the ongoing tension between Sanada and Naito of LIJ in the lead up to their match, Okada's rise back to success after his crazy losing streak and we can't forget the highly anticipated C Block - NJPW really know how to balance stories with amazing matches!


So, with a whirlwind few weeks with some of the best matches I've seen in a long time, the final few days are even more exciting and the blocks are so close that I can't even call it! We have a few clear front runners in each block and it's so great to know that people like Evil really have the chance to be decision makers even though they're out of the tournament, . I expect the last few days in Budokan to be crazy and the matches to be even more amazing leading up to the final on Sunday. We see the return of Rey Mysterio, the Young Bucks, Marty Scurll and obviously THAT Kota v Kenny match!

I don't know who WILL win each block because it's so open between Jay, Tanahashi and Okada (Block A) and Kenny, Kota and Naito (Block B). I know that, personally, I'd love to see Jay win Block A and that he'll have an amazing match with any of the Block B guys, but I wouldn't be sad if Tanahashi wins and faces Kota! But, if I had to pick, I'd have the final being Jay v Naito with Jay winning - we'll have to wait and see!

What has everyone thought about the G1 so far and who do you think/ want to win this year's tournament?

Until Next Time

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview