Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

Power Struggle - Jr Tag League Teams Explained

Hi guys,

Another week, another NJPW post because tomorwas the start of Jr Tag League (Power Struggle). Even though I'm sad it doesn't seem as important as World Tag League (I mean it's not even classed as it's own product, not all of the shows are broadcasted live and have you seen the banner), I still  want to look specifically at all the teams and who might be the front runners instead of the whole tour card.



Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado - Suzuki Gun
Even though these two are Jr Tag Team Champions, they've not been the best of champs and we haven't really seen the belts elevated like it was on the Bucks. I know that they're major heels and winning by sneaky tactics is the go to, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to put on solid matches and defend the title more than once every few months. But, I think this tournament is the best way to show the fans that they are great wrestlers and are champs for a reason. They've got beef with a few teams of here so who knows, they could surprise me and put on some amazing matches!

BUSHI & Shingo Takagi - Los Ingobernables de Japon
Even though I'm uber sad that Bushi's not in tag league this year with Hiromu, teaming with newest LIJ member Shingo has to be a pretty good alternative. Bushi has to be my favourite masked man in wrestling and, even though he's been called the weak link of LIJ, he's an awesome singles and tag team competitor with so much charisma and ring presence (I mean seeing a busharooni is a highlight of my day). Overall, LIJ is such a strong faction and with Shingo at Bushi's side, you can't count this team out for doing really well in this tournament and getting some gold back to the team #StillMissYouHiromu


Jyushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask - Taguchi Japan
This team is literally the epitome of why I love NJPW so much! Whereas other companies see their veterans as propping up new talent, NJ really appreciate all the work they've done and keep them as dominant forces in the roster. Jushin Thunder Liger is probably THE Jr Heavyweight and Tiger Mask is closely following behind and I don't see either of them slowing down any time soon. I think these 2 have even more of a chip on their shoulder after the controversial lost to El Despy and Kanemaru so I think that the rematch will be really interesting and I just can't wait for them to show these newbies that sometimes experience trumps everything.

KUSHIDA & Chris Sabin - Taguchi Japan
These guys are definitely my pick to win the entire tournament and you should've seen my reaction when Kushida announced that Sabin was his partner! Not only is Kushida the Ace of the Jrs and the current Jr Heavyweight Champion but Chris Sabin is a legend in every way, especially when it comes to tag team wrestling (evidence A: MCMG). I love the mix of the styles of both wrestlers by combining the high flying with pure technical wrestling. Even though I wasn't really aware of Sabin until this years BOSJ, knowing the expertise both guys have in both singles and tag team matches, then it has to give them some sort of advantage over the other teams. I also just think they're both really cool and awesome so yeah, Kushida and Sabin for the win!

ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi - Taguchi Japan
ACH is another guy who I hadn't really heard about until this years BOSJ but, after a few more NJPW matches, I am so excited for this team. Taguchi is one of the purest baby faces in the entire company and ACH just has this charisma about him (which I didn't expect) from dancing to Naito's theme at BOSJ to his post match promo at Fighting Spirit Unleashed. Even though I don't see them winning (I mean they might even come bottom), I know that ACH and the Funky Weapon always make for some hilarious matches but they might surprise me and do really well!

Volador Jr. & Soberano Jr. - CMLL
If I'm honest, I don't really follow CMLL much so I have literally no idea what these two guys are all about! But, what I do know is that I'm a massive fan of the lucha libre style and I know they'll bring some of that to the Strong Style stage of NJPW. Also, after looking through their Wikipedia's, both have had a lot of success and Volador Jr seams to have a great history of tag team wrestling with a lot of tag team gold through his career in companies like CMLL, TNA and Lucha Libre Azteca.

Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) - Chaos
I know that Kushida and Sabin are my picks to win but man, I love me some Roppongi and they have every chance of winning! Sho and Yoh have really developed their character's since they came back from excursion and even though they've flatlined lately in terms of champions and wins, they're producing some great matches and some funny post match comments where they try to understand what the hell Rocky says. You can even say that, as a tandem, they're one of the best tag teams in NJPW and with their mix of high flying and strong style. I'm especially looking forward to their match against Liger and Tiger Mask to really see how far these former young boys have come and how they fair against the legends. However, I bet they'll have great matches with any of the competitors and the only downfall might be having Rocky at ringside.


Taiji Ishimori & Robbie Eagles - Bullet Club OG
After the pretty surprising announcement that Aussie Robbie Eagles was going to be the Bone Soldier's partner for Tag League (I mean we all thought it was going to be Pac) but it's a pretty interesting team. I've seen and heard quite a bit about Eagles from his matches with Ospreay and at PWG so I know he's pretty tough and has some really vicious strikes, kicks and chops. So really he's the perfect match for Taiji Ishimori who is like the epitome of a Super Jr, as shown by how amazing he did at BOSJ. With the new life breathed into the BC OG, I doubt that this team will be anything but dominant and have a real shot at winning the whole thing to bring more gold to the faction.

I mean except for the obvious Taguchi Japan heavy tournament (which I'm not complaining about), I'm really excited to see what all the teams can do and it looks like there'll be a nice combo of high flying and proper strong, technical wrestling. I mean I know I'm team Tag Team of the Future with my boys Kushida and Chris Sabin but who do you all want to win? Is it weird that there are so few teams or is this just another example of NJPW's lack of respect for the prestige of the Jrs even though they did change it from elimination to block style? Like always, let me know in the comments or on social media (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB)

So, until Next Time (and maybe a non-NJPW centred post)

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview