Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

All Elite Wrestling

Hi guys,

It feels like it's only been a few days since I last wrote about Kenny and Kushida leaving NJPW (because it literally was a few days ago) and, as I promised, here's a look at the new wrestling promotion All Elite Wrestling (AEW) including who's been announced to be on the roster and what AEW is doing for the wrestling business!

It's been a massive announcement for all of wrestling and even though it's bittersweet because we won't be seeing the guys on NJPW or ROH, I'm so excited to see what the future holds for a company created by amazing wrestlers.


Signings

The Elite (The Young Bucks, Cody, Brandi and Hangman Page)
I mean it's probably a bit obvious but I'm putting them in the list anyway because they had an official contract signing and everything on Being the Elite! It was always obvious that The Bucks and Cody would sign but I was a bit surprised about Adam Page and it's also a bit of a shame because I was loving Page's stuff in NJPW and would've loved to see him go for some kind of title. However, just having these 4 guys on the roster already elevates it because we've got some of the most loved wrestlers in the world. Also, between the 4 of them, the experiences they've had in wrestling is crazy and span a decade (in the case of the Bucks and Cody) and are some of the most athletic guys in the business. Also, having Brandi as part of the roster is amazing because not only does she have the knowledge to make a great product by being Chief Brand Officer, but she is a great wrestler and has shown her commitment to the business so many times from her matches to fighting after that shoulder injury!

PAC
I think I probably screamed really loudly *internally* when I woke up and heard this news... I mean the pride of Britain PAC is a member of the AEW roster and dammit what a signing. After leaving WWE officially, I didn't really know what Pac would be doing in terms of wrestling apart from his stuff at Dragon Gate and in the UK, but what a way to say suck it *please don't sue me* to WWE and make a mark in professional wrestling. There's no lie that he's one of the best high flying, technical wrestlers in the world but, over the last few years, his change of personality has been what's propelled him to the top because Pac don't give a shit! After watching the press conference on YouTube, I'm so excited to see what's happening between him and Hangman Page. They've already announced their match at Double or Nothing and it's going to be magic! 

Chris Jericho
Looking back, this one was a pretty obvious choice but, if you'd have asked me a few months ago about who was joining AEW, Chris Jericho wouldn't have been a name I'd have said. I've had my issues with Jericho the last year (not like serious because he is amazing but like his NJPW IC title run) but if you're going to start a company, what can be better than having a legend signed to the company and one of the best wrestlers in the world. Jericho is literally on such a role at the moment, even without WWE after his NJPW appearances, his cruise and the fact that it's bloody Y2J! I'm already salivating at the idea of seeing Chris Jericho and Pac in the ring together (considering their last match together) and it'll be interesting to see how this works with the WWE.

Britt Baker
Everyone really thought that Baker was going to sign with WWE after her stuff on NXT and the Mae Young Classic but I'm over the moon that she's on AEW and it will really shine a bright light on a bright star in the industry (I mean she's a wrestler and a Dr). She really shines wherever she goes from the Mae Young Classic to All In to the many other promotions she wrestlers for with her unique and diverse offence! I am so excited for AEW to build a women's division around women of the calibre of Baker and it'll be exciting to see which other women are signed for match ups and who knows, maybe AEW will push for intergender wrestling which means that the match ups with Baker are endless. 

SCU (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky)
I mean you can't have a new wrestling promotion without some charismatic and uber talented veterans and that's what you've got with these 3 *SCU!*. I think that these guys are probably one of my favourite teams in the whole world of wrestling because they have it all. We've got an amazing gimmick (I mean I hope they wouldn't say Manchester was the worst city they'd ever been too), this charisma that captivates audience and they're just damn talented in the ring. Each of the SCU guys brings their own flair to any company they're in and I know that they are going to thrive so much in AEW and the company itself are so lucky to have a team like SCU signing a contract. The possibilities for feuds are endless and I'd love to see one of them go up against Jericho, Pac or just anyone really. #SCUFOREVER

Joey Janela and Penelope Ford
If the roster wasn't already stacked enough, you've got the Bad Boy of Wrestling Joey Janela and Penelope Ford joining the ranks. Both are so amazing together and have this amazing chemistry by having each others backs and being in sync (I mean did you see All In?) But, I don't want that to take away from their talents individually. Joey Janela really is a spectacle in the ring and it amazes me some of the stuff I see him do from pure wrestling to some damn crazy stuff that makes me shudder even thinking about it. You then have Penelope Ford who is one of the most athletic female wrestlers I've ever seen and has this unique style that's part wrestling, part gymnastics. These two are going to be a major threat to whoever is signing to AEW and it might just be their time to shine!

Stronghearts
I am going to be honest here, I don't really know much about these guys because the only PWG I really get to watch are those random clips on YouTube that show crazy ass shit. It'll be cool to have another big group of guys to go up against the Elite and SCU! I feel so bad that I can't really say anything else about these guys, but they look mega badass so that's always got to be a good thing.



It's easy to assume that this is really only half of the roster that AEW have in mind and it's already blowing my mind how crazy amazing it looks. If the roster is anything to judge the promotion by, then it's one for the people and might be one of the only promotions really capable of rivalling the WWE. It's going to give so many up and coming wrestlers a lot of publicity that may have fallen short in other promotions and we know that Cody and the Bucks are going to be fair and do it all for the fans - it's a wrestling company created by wrestlers who love wrestling! So, even though I'm sad that these guys won't be on NJPW and ROH, I'm so grateful for everything they're doing for professional wrestling and it's really going to change the game forever. It's going to be amazing for the wrestlers and it's going to be even better for the fans. Even though we don't have much information about the company apart from the roster and the Double or Nothing show in Vegas, it's going to be interesting to see what the guys have up their sleeves and I'm excited to be with them on the journey (metaphorically of course because I live in the UK and don't know them and you know a ton of other things).


So, that's really all I can say about AEW with the information from tweets and the press conference and time will tell what happens next! Here's to another promotion trying to spread a more positive and fan friendly wrestling experience! Remember to comment/ share and follow me on my social media (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB) all your thoughts!

Until next time,

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

World Tag League Preview

Introduction to NJPW