Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

BOSJ 26 Preview - Block B

Hi guys,

After posting my Block A post yesterday (https://wrestling-chatter.blogspot.com/2019/05/bosj-26-preview-block-a.html), I was surprised to see some changes regarding Block B with El Desperado being injured (which means my pick to win is out) and Flip Gordon having Visa issues. However, Block B is still so strong and there's a crazy amount of talent to rival that of Block A.

Ryusuke Taguchi
After Taguchi's dreams of being the 69th IWGP Heavyweight champ alluded him, the Coach is back in the BOSJ. Taking part in his 16th tournament, could this be the year that Taguchi gets his second BOSJ win? A lot of people count Taguchi out as a joke or someone just to get the pin but, after his amazing match with Taiji Ishimori earlier this year, you can't count out the Funky Weapon. However, although Taguchi will take it seriously, all of his matches are going to be tons of fun with some hip attacks and maybe even a few ankle locks here and there. In terms of match ups to watch out for, Coach v Coach with Rocky Romero is definitely a must see as they battle for lead coach-ship. Will Taguchi win? Probably not, but you'll have fun watching him!

YOH
The smaller and more agile of the Roppongi 3k, you can't count out Yoh as a strong contender in this tournament because he is a serious underdog in this whole competition. After a really good showing last year which surprised a lot of people, Yoh will be back to get the winds back on his side. With the some amazing agility and technique with his dragon suplex finisher and those picture perfect dragon screw's, the Silver Standard of Roppongi 3k is going to be a tough competitor. Of course match with Rocky is a must see but other matches to watch out for is his match against fellow Chaos member Will Ospreay (who beat him in last year's tournament) and Yoh's Dontaku rival Bushi. I know people have said he's the weak link of the two RPG guys, but I think it's Yoh's year and I would love to see a Roppongi 3k final!


Rocky Romero

Now, this was probably one of the entrants I was most excited for because Rocky Romero is returning to the BOSJ! Even though Rocky is doing an amazing job with Sho and Yoh, Romero is the most successful Jr tag wrestler in the entire company and it's been a while since I've seen him in singles action! Although his match with Bushi is a must watch, it's stupid not to see Rocky v Yoh and feel both excited and hurt. Roppongi 3k is one of the best tag teams in the company with amazing chemistry between the three members. This match with Yoh on the 22nd May is going to cause some heartache. 

Ren Narita
Of course I was pretty ecstatic when I heard that Young Lion Ren Narita was going to replace Flip Gordon in the tournament because I was gutted when he was left out the line up in the first place. From the first time I saw Narita in the ring, I knew he had the potential to be an amazing Jr Heavyweight in the future because he has the perfect frame for it to let him have this strength but also amazing submission skills and the ability to get out of a tricky situation - a bit like Zack Sabre Jr. I know that Narita probably won't win any of the matches but I would love to think that, in the course of the whole tournament, he can steal a win with a sneaky roll up.

Will Ospreay
Despite rumblings that Ospreay would be moving up to the heavyweight division, I'm ecstatic that he's back in the BOSJ, especially considering he has some unfinished business from last year from not getting to the final and being beaten by the Bone Soldier. After his amazing showing in the NJ Cup, I expect so much from the Aerial Assassin and can see him using his more aggressive style to run through his opponents. With the field bigger than ever before in the tournament, Ospreay is going to have a tough ride including some matches against some old friends (and now BC members) Robbie Eagles and El Phantasmo. No one is going to give Ospreay the chance to shine after his amazing showing at the NJ Cup and everyone's after a shot to defeat the 'Giant Slayer'.


DOUKI
If I'm honest, I don't really know much about Douki apart from that he's extremely close to Taichi who taught him a lot over the last 10 years. Of course I'm sad we've not got El Desperado but who better to replace him than someone with Suzuki Gun connections. There isn't any matches that stand out yet, but it's always good to see someone new because there are endless possibilities for amazing matches.

BUSHI
Like Kanemaru of Suzuki Gun, Bushi is probably the most underrated member of Los Ingobernables de Japon and hasn't really had the chance to shine like his team mates, especially since Takagi joined, or even compared to the others in the division. By being in his own block without Takagi, this tournament will really be a chance for Bushi to shine on his own because he is a talented athlete. As well as having this traditional high flying Jr style, Bushi uses his brains and sneaky style to get the win and there's nothing wrong with that. It's also going to be cool to see all of Bushi's different masks because it's always amazing. With Rocky Romero's hatred for Bushi, that is definitely a match to look out for as well the one with Bandido which is going to be lucha-tastic!

Bandido
After seeing Bandido on ROH and a few matches in CMLL, it was crazy to think this guy was a Jr Heavywight. He has this domineering frame which looks like it could rival any heavyweight but, as soon as he gets in the ring, he's as quick and nimble as they come flying around that ring like a cheetah. Like Dragon Lee and Titan, it's always great to have guys from CMLL (and now ROH) in the BOSJ because they always get the crowd on their side and put on some of the best matches in the tournament. It will be great to see someone like him up against Will Ospreay who both have this unrivalled strength.


Robbie Eagles
After joining Bullet Club last year to be Ishimori's partner in the Jr Tag league, we've not seen much of the Sniper of the Skies since then. But he's back for the BOSJ and is going to be a very tough competitor in this block. Trained by Madison Eagles and debuting over 10 years ago, Eagles a great gain for the BC's and will be back with a vengeance after not getting the results last October. In terms of style, Eagles is another one of those amazing hybrid Jr heavyweights who can fly but is also extremely sound in his mat work by using his speed to wrap people in some dangerous submissions. It will also be the first singles matches in a lot of cases, but the ones that I recomment to watch out for is against his former friend and rival Will Ospreay and also fellow BC member El Phantasmo.  

El Phantasmo
When I first watched El Phantasmo so many years ago, and then finally got to see him live for the first time at SSE UK last July, I knew he was something special. Fast forward and I couldn't have been happier when I heard ELP was the newest member of the Bullet Club. For anyone who hasn't seen ELP in action, he is the epitome of what a Jr heavyweight is. This guy can fly like a superhero, walk a the top rope like he it was a normal road and can strike like there's no tomorrow. In a block with some of the best high flyers in the business, the match ups against the likes of Bandido and of course ELP's old friend Ospreay, are going to be ones to watch. There's also the match against fellow BC member, it will be interesting to see how he approaches this match.

When I first saw the blocks, this was the hardest one for me to pick because I knew I either wanted El Desperado or Yoh to win, but now I think Yoh is my pick for the block and, like I said earlier, I'd love Sho v Yoh in the final with either man getting the overall win. Also, I wouldn't complain if Ospreay got the win as well because he has always been one of my favourite wrestlers in the world. However, I'm not counting anyone out and the likes of El Phantasmo and Bandido are going to be top competitors too!

So, now that I've looked at all 20 participants, what are everyone's thoughts? Who do you think will come away with the trophy and title shot? As usual, let me know in the comments an to keep up to date with all things wrestling and to be first to know when I post something new, follow me on my social media (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)!

Until next time,

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview