Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

Best of Super Jr 26 - Best Moments

Hi guys,

The biggest BOSJ tournament has finally come to an end after a spectacular finale at Ryōgoku for one of the biggest crowds in around 20 years.

Unlike my usual review, I think it's best if you can go and watch the tournament. But, if you're busy and don't have the time to re-watch 15 days of action, then I'm going to point out my favourite matches of the tournament that you should definitely go and watch if you have the chance.

Sho v  Shingo Takagi
This was the match that most people were looking forward to going into the tournament and NJPW blessed us with it on the first night! Shingo Takagi came into the tournament unpinned/ unsubmitted and Sho wasn't going to take that. Both guys rivalry has stemmed from Takagi's debut in October and the ongoing Roppongi 3k/ LIJ competition for the Jr tag belts. It makes even more sense considering the similarities between the two: both extremely strong and fast and the more aggressive of their respective team. Although Sho didn't pick up the win, it was definitely a benchmark of the entire tournament because both men put it all on the line and had a proper fight that got very brutal and personal. It went for over 25 minutes and there were so many times when it looked like Sho was going to be the one to defeat the Dragon. He took so much punishment from Takagi with pumping bombers, clotheslines and forearms galore. Takagi also had his fair share of brutality with Sho's amazing submission skills and also his speed and agility which may have . However, in the end Shingo's strength was too much and a Last of the Dragon was enough to secure him a hard fought victory. It is no where near the end for Shingo and Sho and if anyone has to beat him, I hope it's Sho!



Bandido v Will Ospreay
Bandido has been one of the upcoming stars in this tournament and this match against former BOSJ winner and former IWGP Jr champ Will Ospreay seemed to be an easy contest - this couldn't be further from the truth. What seemed like an easy win for Ospreay turned out to be one of the most dynamic matches of the entire tournament. It was an amalgamation of everything I love about Jr wrestling from high risk to jaw dropping moves. There were literally moments where I couldn't actually comprehend what was happening and what I was witnessing on the screen. We had moonsault tope conhilos, reverse-rana's and Spanish flies... I think the only people who rivalled my excitement was Juice and Kevin Kelly on commentary. Unlike the other matches on here, I don't even know how to perfectly describe this match. Ospreay did pick up the win, however Bandido won something a lot more important: he won the hearts and respect of the Japanese fans!

Rocky Romero v El Phantasmo
Going into the tournament, El Phantasmo was one of the favourites but Rocky was seen as an underdog. Having not been in the tournament for a few years and focusing on managing Roppongi 3k, many people doubted how far Rocky could go. Both men have this amazing high flying style with Phantasmo being able to walk to the ropes with ease and Romero's picture perfect hurricanrana's. Everyone just assumed that ELP was going to get the win pretty quickly but this match ran its course: Rocky Romero just wouldn't go down. Lasting nearly 29 minutes, it almost seemed as if Rocky was just trying to run the course. However, in a turn of events, Rocky regained that momentum and with the backing of the crowd, showed the world he is not just a legend in tag wrestling. After ELP used every trick in the book and all of his amazing talent to get the win, Romero hooked on the armbar as part of his new arsenal of moves and got the win. Myself aside, I don't think I've ever seen a crowd and the commentary so emotional with someone winning and the way Yoh and Sho came out was also testemant to that! This match proved that Rocky can still hang at the top of the Jr division and is so talented!

Yoh v Ren Narita
This may not have been the most spectacular match with high flips and crazy moves. However, it was a fundamentally sound match and really showed both guys off in an amazing way. For me, Yoh has always been amazingly talented and able to make his opponent look great in a match whilst showing off the best of him. Since the start of this tournament, we've seen Yoh expand his moveset with a lot more submission style moves making use of the calf crusher alongside his dragon suplex. This blended perfectly with the young lion style of Ren Narita who also has great submission skills from not only his young lion training but also amateur background. With both guys in the ring together, there was chemistry from the moment it started. Obviously Yoh was going to win, but I have to apologise to my neighbours because I screamed a lot at moments where it looked as if Narita could pick up the win. Even though Narita was very frustrated after losing again, Yoh tried to show his respect. Yoh knew what Narita was feeling as he had been in the BoSJ as a young lion and we could all see the anger in Narita when he wasn't picking up any wins. I see both guys being huge stars in the future and both are very early in their career.

Robbie Eagles v Will Ospreay
This was another match that a lot of people were looking forward. especially after their first bout in Australia a few years ago (or was it last year?) It started symbolically with Eagles handing over the Japan flag that Ospreay gave him all those years ago. However, as soon as the bell rung, all of that sentimentality was chucked out of the window and we saw this immense in ring chemistry. It was the perfect combination of high flying and pure brutality with each man knowing the other to a tee. There was this perfect mix of wrestling and story-telling which is hard to come by nowadays. Even with all the controversy with the ending, it was an amazing match and we saw a glimpse of this Robbie where, in an alternative universe, he was a member of Chaos. I see an amazingly bright future for Eagles in NJPW and, as a veteran and someone who's done so much for the Aus scene, he deserves the world.

I also have a shoutout I want to give to a match and that is TAKA v Takagi. Even though TAKA didn't get any points and eventually had to drop out due to injury, he really gave Takagi everything he had. There were actually moments where it looked as if TAKA could win and he was not only sticking to his submission style but also threw out some high flying. Even though he was another notch on the Takagi list, it reminded everyone how talented TAKA still is and that he's still got so many more years in the business.

After all these amazing matches, we ended the tournament with not only some amazing tag matches but three singles matches that put me through a rollercoaster of emotions.

We started with the return of Jay White who came after Tanahashi, who suffered a injury against ZSJ. It was as brutal as I ever expect from the Switchblade with two amazing wrestlers going face to face and White using any tactics to win - I mean had Jay hit Tanahashi with a low blow and the ace hit Jay back. Unsurprisingly, White came out with the win and is a great momentum boost. It was then time for one of the most highly anticipated matches ever: Jon Moxley v our boy Juice Robinson for the US title. Everyone got so excited as Moxley made his entrance, however I was slightly preoccupied crying my eyes out at the fact that Juice cut of his signature locks. Apart from that, I mean I can’t remember the last time I was this emotional in a match. I wasn’t surprised when Moxley picked up the win. But I was surprised at how sad and emotional I was seeing Robinson lose the title that’s he’s fought so hard for.

However, even after a surge of emotions, the main event was what I was waiting for. I think I spent the majority of this match pacing up and down in stress because literally it could’ve gone any way and so much was happening. It ran over 30 minutes and it was the perfect blend of strength and high flying that we come to expect from the junior division. There were Spanish flies, pumping bombers, chops and strikes. I know that so many people just expected that Takagi was going to win, but after a hidden blade and Storm Breaker, Will Ospreay finally managed to pin the dragon, for the first time. I don’t think I’ve felt this emotional in a while but as I saw Ospreay thanking the fans, I could help but cry. Will Ospreay helped me fall back in love with wrestling. Will Ospreay brought me to New Japan. Will Ospreay helped me find something I love.

Overall, this tournament has been absolutely amazing and the world got to see some of the best Jrs from Japan, UK, Mexico, America, Canada and Australia. I can't wait to see what the future holds for NJPW and who knows, Ospreay might be champ by the time NJPW comes back to England.

As usual, let me know in the comments what you thought of the show and tour in general. To keep up to date with all things wrestling and be first to know when I post something new, follow me on social media (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)!

Until next time,

Bye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview