Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

New Japan Cup Preview (Pt. 2)

Hi guys,


I'm back with the second part of my New Japan Cup preview which you can read here:
https://wrestling-chatter.blogspot.com/2020/02/new-japan-cup-preview-part-one.html

Like I said before, because of everything that's happened, there's been a huge change in the lineup and I for one am just happy that there's a tournament at all. Unlike the left bracket, there aren't as many changes but there are still some exciting alterations.

So, without further ado, here is my look at the first round matches of the right-hand bracket in the New Japan Cup!

Hiroshi Tanahashi v Taichi

This is one of the matches that luckily haven't been changed and it's a first-time match-up which was something I didn't think I needed to see until now. The Ace of the Universe v Holy Emperor - two wrestlers I love so much but in completely different ways. Of course, Tanahashi is a give. He is handsome, charismatic and one of the most talented wrestlers in New Japan history. Even at his age, he is still able to put on amazing matches and utilise his diverse style that combines high flying and classic Japanese Style. However, Taichi is an opponent Tanahashi won't be able to plan for. Being one of the black sheep of NJ, Taichi permanently has a chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove himself to New Japan (even though he claims he doesn't care for the fans).It seems to me that wrestlers like Tanahashi (e.g. Ishii and Okada) manage to bring something out of Taichi. We normally see a sneaky, no rules Taichi but these guys manage to bring out the wrestling wizard and fighting spirit in the Holy Emperor and I think Tanahashi will be able to do that. This might be to the Ace's downfall as a motivated Taichi is the most dangerous Taichi. With a hard-hitting style of his own, it might be the year for Taichi to really shine and I can see him basking in the chance to do it at the expense of Tana.

Winner: Taichi


Kota Ibushi v Zack Sabre Jr

Once again, I thank the wrestling lords that we still get to see this match because ZSJ decided to move to Japan (I don't blame him atm and would happily do the same). I don't think I was the only person who screamed excitedly when they saw this match up. For some reason, despite their clash in styles and personalities and everything, these two have an amazing in-ring chemistry. Whether it was the WWE Cruiserweight Classic or in particular their match in the 2018 G1, they put on an incredible bout showcasing both their styles. You've got the Golden Star Ibushi who is the perfect wrestler with the speed, agility and muscle most athlete's could only dream about. He also has this fearlessness and an ability to suddenly flick a switch and just turn into psycho Ibushi which is so dangerous. However, nobody is a match for Zack Sabre Jr - Captain Tekkers. The King of Technical Wrestling and one of my favourite wrestlers in the world, there's nobody like ZSJ. He's taken this traditional style of catch wrestling and adapted it to a modern society managing to hypnotise fans with his noodle body. What's so exciting about this match is that it's come to a point where both men know each other so well. It will be interesting to see how the two react to each other again and whether we see something new. As much as I would love to see ZSJ win this, looking at the brackets, I can't see ZSJ v Taichi this early on. Also, Ibushi has a lot to prove after a mixed start to 2020. Whatever happens, it's going to be a possible MOTY or at least Match of the New Japan Cup contender.

Winner: Kota Ibushi


Ryusuke Taguchi v SANADA 

In this first time singles meeting between two of my favourite New Japan wrestlers, who actually knows what could happen in this matchup. Unlike many of the other Jrs in this tournament, this isn't Taguchi's first NJ Cup rodeo after competing last year. The Funky Weapon and leader of Taguchi Japan is going to be on a mission to show that he still has it with his master ass and mix of technical and comedic wrestling. From Taguchi, you can always expect some hip attacks and ankle locks. As much as I love Taguchi and would love him to progress in the tournament, his first-round opponent is the man who almost won the tournament last year. Sanada had an amazing 2019 with his win over Okada and having the MOTY. However, despite all that he did, the IWGP title has still alluded Cold Skull. With his cool demeanour and amazing Japanese/ Mexican style, Sanada is one of the best athletes in New Japan. As much as I think 2019 was an amazing year for Sanada, 2020 is going to be even better and this might be the year Sanada wins the entire thing... or maybe the G1. Whatever happens, a singles match between Sanada and Naito has to happen and it could be the result of this tournament.

Winner: SANADA


Sho v Shingo Takagi

At first, I was fully excited to see a rematch from last years BoSJ final between Will Ospreay and Shingo Takagi. However, this one is a million times better for me. Ever since Shingo joined New Japan, his feud with Sho (Roppongi 3k) has been amazing. Shingo always manages to bring out the best in Sho whether it's physical or emotional because we saw how devastating the loss to Takagi during the BoSJ was for the Shock Arrow. These two are real heavy hitters with an amazing wrestling style that mixes speed, strength and pure grit and determination. It almost feels like Sho has something to prove in this match, especially since Takagi moved to the Heavyweight division. For most people, they'll probably see Shingo winning this. However, I'm looking farther into the future. Not only do I not see NJ pitting Shingo v Sanada in the second round, but I can see them pushing Sho in this tournament but not for the Heavyweight title. We know that SHO has his eyes on Takagi's NEVER title and a victory here could just give him that reason to challenge for that belt.

Winner: SHO


Hiroyoshi Tenzan v Yoshi Hashi

Another 3G member makes his way into the New Japan Cup and this time it's the most handsome of the group. Despite losing last year in the first round to Jr Taguchi, Tenzan will be back to prove that he can still hang with the young ones in the company. Even though last year wasn't the strongest for Tenzan in terms of the win/ loss record, this will only make Tenzan more determined. However, if there is one person full of determination, it's his opponent Yoshi Hashi. Despite what everyone says, I actually really like Hashi. I think he represents the average person who just wants to their best even when it doesn't always work in their favour. Also, towards the end of the year, Yoshi Hashi was on fire especially in the World Tag League. I think that, if Yoshi Hashi manages to win this match, it could put him in good stead for the rest of the tournament and maybe 2020 will be the year of YH!

Winner: Yoshi Hashi


Yoh v Bushi

Well, they do always say that with every cloud comes a silver lining. This is the only pure Jr Heavyweight match of the entire first-round tournament and, if I forget about it all, I can just imagine that I'm watching the Best of Super Junior instead. Like Sho and Takagi, during their feud over the Jr titles, Yoh and Bushi were constantly at each others throats. Both the more agile and speedy of their respective tag teams, whenever these two are in the ring, there is chaos - and I'm not just talking about the state of Yoh's chest whenever Bushi hits his blistering chops. However, they also have some differences with Yoh favouring a more ground-based offence compared to Bushi's more traditional Jr style. I mean it's a hard result to call with both guys having victories over the other. However, as much as I love Yoh to the moon and back, there's something about Bushi's willingness to break the rules which gives him a distinct advantage over the Silver Standard of professional wrestling.

Winner: Bushi


Satoshi Kojima v EVIL

After Satoshi Kojima (leader of Bread Club) pinned LIJ's Evil during New Japan Road, it has suddenly made this match up a lot more interesting. As part of the 3G club, Kojima is still in his prime and has a physique to match. Even with his blistering chops, colourful language and lariats, Kojima hasn't always been able to get the win over the top stars in New Japan. However, this win was a great momentum boost and along with the other victories during the last tour, puts him in good stead for the New Japan Cup. On the other hand, Evil has been in a bit more of a slump. Despite winning and retaining the NEVER 6 man titles, the King of Darkness had a big loss against Ishii and was then pinned by Koji. This could either hinder or motivate Evil going into the tournament, especially after how well his tag partner Sanada did last year. If I had to pick though, I feel like 2020 is the year of the 3G Club and I'd love to see Kojima pick up the win for Bread Club members everywhere!

Winner: Satoshi Kojima


Hirooki Goto v Yujiro Takahashi

This definitely isn't a match I expected to see but I'm not complaining at all. As most people who follow me know, I love Hirooki Goto. I think that he has all the tools to be the IWGP Heavyweight champion and is one of the best overall athletes in the company. With the lethal trio, I always talk about: speed, strength and agility, Goto is amazing to watch in the ring but has had a rocky few years with some major wins and some major losses. It's also great to see Yujiro in the mix as apart from showings in World Tag League, hasn't done much and definitely hasn't picked up many wins personally. I think this is definitely the time for Yujiro to shine because he is sometimes overlooked compared to the bigger personalities in Bullet Club. Looking at the lack of opportunities he gets, its sometimes hard to believe how successful Yujiro once was a part of the tag team No Limit with current double title holder Naito. However, as much as I'd love Yujiro to shine, Goto is just a better athlete and is great in these tournament scenarios. Also, this will make more sense when you see my overall predictions for the tournament.

Winner: Hirooki Goto



Right Prediction:

Like I said, there wasn't much of a difference on this side of the bracket but still some amazing matches. Initially, I saw it and wanted Sho to win this bracket but I don't see them doing Jr Heavyweight v Jr Heavyweight in the final. So, because I want Hiromu to win his block, I have to say that my heart belongs to Hirooki Goto as always. He is always the bridesmaid and never the bride... so it might be too early for him to win something like this. However, the only other options would be the 3 LIJ members and, with possible interfaction matches throughout this block, could we see an all LIJ final for an LIJ v LIJ title match?

Overall Prediction: 

So, that's the preview for the entire New Japan Cup! What does everyone think of the line-up? This year, although the prize isn't a main event at MSG, the stakes are just as high and especially after such a long hiatus. Although Tetsuya Naito will be the target for most of the competitors in this cup, some have other ideas and have already said they'd challenge for other titles. However, we all know that Naito will not like to be turned down. For me, like I've said so many times before, I would love to see Hiromu win the tournament and challenge Naito to win the Heavyweight title too. However, is it too early? 

Well, it was definitely nice to be able to use this preview because it marks some sort of return to normality for me because New Japan is what I love the most. Make sure to keep an eye out for all my new posts by following me on on my social media:
(@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)! I

Also, like I said in the last post, I started a YouTube channel so you should all subscribe because I'm not that bad and you'll finally get to actually see and hear me rather than just read what I write at SonalsLife96

Until next time,

Bye

Comments

  1. I can’t wait for this to begin! I’m convinced a member of Lij will win, hopefully Hiromu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There, Thanks a lot for sharing really super Content with us. i would like to bookmark you blog for more updates. if you are looking for Wrestling updates thenWrestling On Weed best choice here for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview