Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

G1 Participants Preview - A Block

Hi guys,

If I thought that the world was going to shit and the fact that I've been an anxious mess, trust New Japan to make me feel slightly better about myself. Last week, NJPW announced the line-up for their G1 Climax 30 and it was something that just put a massive smile on my face. I was worried about what ti would look like because nobody knew about who was going to be allowed into Japan and restrictions on travel. Luckily, everything seems to be slightly back to normal and there are some huge names across the board.

I've also done a quick video overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx_SFxoBZYM&t=52s so make sure to give that a watch too!

So, here is a look at the participants in this years A Block! 

Kota Ibushi

After failing to capitalise on his G1 victory last year, you can bet that the Golden Star is going to try and go for two consecutive wins. I mean if anyone can do it, why shouldn't it be Kota Ibushi? It's been an odd year for Ibushi from his loss at Wrestle Kingdom to his IWGP Tag Championship reign with Hiroshi Tanahashi, it seems like Kota's done it all. With every win and every loss, it feels like he has just got stronger and even better in the ring which is scary. With a style that combines Jr Heavyweight, Heavyweight and intense striking, it's a beautiful combination.

It's going to be interesting to see Ibushi's mentality going into this tournament considering how different his opponents are, not just to him but to each other. People need to remember how much smaller Ibushi is than guys like Suzuki, Ishii and even former Jrs like Shingo Takagi. However, Ibushi has always known how to use his size and stature to his advantage and this tournament will be no different. Although I don't see Ibushi winning again, he will definitely be towards the top of the table by the end. 

Jeff Cobb

Looks like it's the return of ガチムチ (Gachimuchi) as we see Jeff Cobb back in the G1 for his second consecutive year! Although he didn't really get a huge number of points, he made the Japanese fans fall in love with him and so did I. Honestly, it's so rare to see someone like Cobb who is so big and strong but can fly around the ring like a weightless Jr Heavyweight and it's scary. It makes Jeff Cobb not only unpredictable but a danger to everyone in this field. I also think that now his post debut G1 nerves are gone, it's time for him to dominate.

With such a diverse block, it will be interesting to see Jeff have a lot of first-time matches as well as some rematches. There's the idea of another match between Ishii and Cobb which is so exciting and then the King and even against my own boy Jay White. Hopefully, even with such a strong block, this is going to be Cobb's chance to shine!

Kazuchika Okada 

What is a G1 without the Rainmaker Kazuchika Okada? However, this year seems different in a way. Last year, he went into the tournament as champion. The year before, he had just come off losing the title to Kenny and had gone crazy. This year, Okada has been floundering after losing his title to Naito at Wrestle Kingdom. After a mid-card feud with Yujiro and the fight for his new mid-card title KOPW, it's been an odd year for him.

However, this tournament could be exactly what Okada needs to build back some momentum because he is one of the best wrestlers in the world. But, with the field so diverse and strong, especially in this block, it won't be easy. With his fellow CHAOS teammate Ishii, the athletic Ibushi, his old nemesis Jay White and Yujiro who has this infatuation with Okada, they will be out to ruin Okada's G1. I believe in our Rainmaker and I know my mum will be rooting for her favourite boy because tournaments are Okada's thing.

Tomohiro Ishii

What is the G1 without the man himself, Tomohiro Ishii? It wouldn't be right for there to be a tournament in New Japan without the Stone Pitbull in it. I know I've probably said it about one hundred times, but this man is the king of tournaments and, even though he never manages to win them, he makes his mark in every match. The number of MOTY candidates Ishii is in never ceases to amaze me.

This year, Ishii has even more at stake being 1/3 of the NEVER tag champions. This puts a massive target on his back and I know everyone will be after a shot at his title. Apart from that, the presence of two other CHAOS members makes this an even more interesting year for Ishii. The matches against Okada and Ospreay are definitely going to explosive as we've seen Ishii forget all about faction loyalties as soon as something is on the line. I can't say it will be the year for Ishii to finally win the tournament but it would be such a nice result and I can't say that I'd be sad if he beats one of my picks...

Will Ospreay

Whether you are happy or not about Ospreay being in this years G1, that's life and we have to accept it. No doubt that there will be some spectacular performances from the Aerial Assassin and, even with assumed ring-rust, there is going to be a chance that he gets a lot further this year with added Heavyweight experience and weight.

Shingo Takagi

After an amazing debut in the G1 last year and then probably one of the best years in general, I am so happy to see Shingo back in the tournament. Putting on some of the best matches from New Japan in the past few months, I don't expect anything less from Shingo. Also, as a fully-fledged Heavyweight now, he's got more experience and that spells trouble for his opponents who can no longer underestimate him.

Of course, I'm so excited to see a rematch between the Dragon and Minoru Suzuki, but that's just one of many. There is the idea of watching Shingo square up with Okada, Ishii and even Ibushi who is the complete polar opposite to Shingo which sends excitement down my spine. It's got to the point where you could put Shingo in the ring with anyone and there would be magic because he is just this talent. I don't think it's his year to win but it could help get a shot at some of the NEVER titles.

Minoru Suzuki 

Welcome back to the King of Pro-Wrestling! After unfairly being left out last years G1, the Suzuki Gun leader and new NEVER Openweight is back in the tournament. I don't even know how he was left off it in the first place. But, that just means he is back with a vengeance and a desire to make sure that New Japan never makes the same mistake again.

What is even more worrying is that, with this title, he seems as dominant and scary as ever. I mean very few have managed to beat Shingo and Suzuki did it almost effortlessly. This is very bad for all of his opponents and I can't help but feel sorry for them. But also very excited because some matches are definitely going to shine which include Suzuki. Of course, you have his bout against fellow Suzuki Gun member Taichi, but then there's another meeting with Shingo and what about the other man associated with the NEVER title: Tomohiro Ishii. All are going to be fights rather than wrestling matches.

Taichi

All hail the Holy Emperor! After being left out of the 2018 G1, Taichi is back for his second consecutive G1. As part of the IWGP Heavyweight tag champs, tournaments are always tough and he is not only going to be wrestling for points but to make sure that nobody can stake a claim for a shot at his belts. But, it should be a time for Taichi to really show the world who he is and that, deep down and without the tricks, he is a great wrestler.

Personally, like I said before, I am most looking forward to Taichi wrestling his leader Minoru Suzuki. There have been rumblings about maybe Taichi taking over Suzuki Gun one day, and this would be the perfect way to set something like that up. Obvs, I don't want that but it doesn't stop my mouth from watering. I don't see my Emperor winning, but he's definitely going to play spoiler. Whatever happens, it's going to be one of the standouts in this years G1 because nothing; better than inter-faction fights.

Jay White

HOORAY! If you didn't sense my excitement from the capitals, then here is my reaction: I AM SO EXCITED! For a while, I didn't know if we were going to have wrestlers from abroad (who weren't in Japan) and the idea of no Jay White in the G1 scared me the most, but I can take a deep breath now (with the Switchblade ofc). It's been nice seeing him wrestle on NJJ Strong, but I can't tell you how excited I am to have him back on Japanese soil fighting Japanese wrestlers. 

Luckily for me, there are some other amazing wrestlers that Jay has amazing chemistry with and are going to possibly put on some of my favourite matches. We've seen the magic White can make with Okada and Ibushi. Then there are other wrestlers who I love like Suzuki and Taichi who he hasn't wrestled much but just makes me happy thinking about the possible matches. With so much momentum on his side and the help of Gedo, this might just be Jay's year to win the tournament. However, I've been saying that for the last two years... so come on Jay, win it so that I can actually say that I was right for once.

Yujiro Takahashi

I hate to say it, but I think the pandemic has been very lucky for Yujiro Takahashi. Without it, I think it would've been another G1-less year for the Tokyo Pimp. In the past few months, Yujiro has definitely proved that he can put on decent matches and tell good stories, as seen by his feud with Okada this year.  Yet, with the calibre of athletes so high, especially in this block, it worries me that Yuj might fall to the background and become the loss guy. I'm hoping this won't happen and this is a chance for Yujiro to shine in a big way because I just don't think New Japan has shown faith in him since his split from Naito and No Limit. 

This is a great opportunity and with matches against some top athletes like Okada, Suzuki and Ibushi and also the match against fellow Bullet Club member Jay White, we could see some stand out matches. Here's also hoping we get to see Pieter again!

Prediction: I mean isn't it obvious! Every year I predict that Jay White is going to win and this year is no exception. There are some amazing athletes in this block and the potential for dream matches is out of this world between some of my favourite wrestlers. With so much diversity, it's going to be a fun block to follow and, apart from Jay, anyone has the chance to play spoiler and win *ehem Holy Emperor*. However, that doesn't stop me from saying that Jay White will win the whole thing!

Well, what a jam-packed block and that's only half of the participants! Let me know on my social media or on this post who you think is going to win!

Like always, make sure to keep an eye out for all my new content by following me on on my social media: (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)! As always, I'm going to plug my YouTube Channel so you should all subscribe to SonalsLife96!

Until next time,

Bye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview