Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

World Tag League Preview

Hi guys,

I think I've already made it clear how excited I am for this year's Best of Super Jr tournament. However, in the midst of my excitement, I forgot all about the fact that it was a combined tour with World Tag League, probably because we didn't hear any announcements about the line-up - until now! Just like the BoSJ, this tournament is going to in a single block format and is full of some of your favourite tag teams in Japan.
Without further ado, here is my preview of the 2020 World Tag League!

FinJuice (Juice Robinson and David Finlay)

Will New Japan fans be treated to another round of Happy Beers from last year's World Tag League winners? Well, I'm just happy to see them both teaming together again in Japan. David Finlay and Juice Robinson are the epitome of what a babyface is and just radiate this positive energy despite all the obstacles in front of them.

Since they started teaming together, they've both had a career rejuvenation with their best friend. I mean already they probably have some of the best chemistry in the tournament. On top of that, they're two just amazingly talented wrestlers with so much charisma and determination. Juice Robinson may be flamboyant on the surface but he is strong and the powerhouse of FinJuice. On the other hand, Finlay is the speed, athleticism and the risk-taker of the team with a style combining Jr and Heavyweight tendencies. 

Last year, they went into the tournament as underdogs and won. This year, the stakes will be even higher as they aim to repeat last year's victory. However, with more teams chasing the same dream, it definitely won't be a walk in the park despite their talent. I just love these guys and they make me smile.


Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr and TAICHI)

As the IWGP Tag Champions, this is Dangerous Tekkers' time to really shine. Since beating Golden Ace for the titles, the Suzuki Gun duo have been on a mission to save the division and they have definitely been doing that. ZSJ and TAICHI have been putting on some amazing matches both as singles stars and as a team and really been producing some brilliant content. 

Also, as actual wrestlers, they're both as good as you get. Zack Sabre Jr is not named the Submission Master for nothing with his diverse wrestling style combining everything fundamental about British wrestling. Also, when he's not cheating, we've seen TAICHI wrestle some amazing matches against people like Ishii. Together, they have this ability to work effortlessly together. However, their ability to not care about breaking the rules will always come in handy!

Despite only having been a team for about a year, their chemistry is second to none and they've taken over the division. Also, I love these two with a huge passion and would love to see them win this year's league. However, as champions, I can't see that happening so let's just hope they get a good opponent for Wrestle Kingdom.

Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa)

You can't have a World Tag League without one, if not the, most successful tag team in New Japan history. I am so happy that the Guerrillas of Destiny are going to be back in Japan for the tournament for the division they have dominated.

What can I say about G.O.D that people don't already know? Tama and Tanga are not called one of the best for no reason. From their chemistry as a family to their actual wrestling skills, there is nothing this duo can't do. They are two halves of a perfect whole complimenting each other so well. Tama Tonga is the speed and agility of the team using his years of experience to show why he is such an amazing athlete. Tanga Loa is the strength and power of the duo beating the hell out of his opponent's with ease and swag.

What's funny is that, even with all their accomplishments in the division, they have never actually won this tournament. This could just be G.O.D's year because they will be hungry to win back that gold at Wrestle Kingdom, an event they have never faired well in.

HenarACE (Hiroshi Tanahashi and Toa Henare)

After missing out on last year's WTL because Tananashi picked another partner (I mean I did offer), I am so happy to see Toa Henare in this year's tournament teaming with the Ace. HenarACE has finally become a reality and I couldn't be happier.

I have never been shy about voicing my love for Hiroshi Tanahashi, he is the perfect man and there is a reason why he's called the Ace of the Universe. With so much talent, charisma and beauty (my regular episodes of 'How Beautiful is Hiroshi Tanahashi' should go global), I never cease to be amazed by him. Even at his age, he is energetic, athletic and so powerful. When you team that with the equally as enthusiastic and talented Toa Henare and it''s a recipe for success. It's a chance for both men to prove something, even if it's in different ways.

For some reason, a few people don't agree with me and the potential I see in Henare but I hope he proves them wrong this year. With the Ace by his side, it will be vital for Henare to show the world what he is made of. The combination of Tanahashi and Henare will be so pure and you can imagine how popular they'll be with the crowds!

Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI

After announcing that they wanted to be part of WTL together, I wasn't surprised to see the team of Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI on the list of participants. The CHAOS duo will be out to prove that they belong with the big boys of the tag division.

Both Goto and YOSHI-HASHI have had a mixed career with highs and lows. Goto is known as the man who can never quite achieve greatness and YH has only just managed to win his first title after years in New Japan. However, despite this and sometimes the lack of investment by fans in them *not me*, they are talented wrestlers. Goto is strong and powerful. YOSHI-HASHI is determined and mixes speed, strength and submissions. This should be a dream team.

Carrying the NEVER tag titles with pride, they won't let this tournament go to waste and will be fighting for another shot at the tag titles. Hopefully, this tournament goes better for the two than the G1 because I love them both because they have so much heart and determination.

Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii

The completely mad and unexpected team of Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii are back together for the first time since 2017 and only for the third time. On the surface, I don't really know what to think about these two teaming together and I don't think I'm alone in this.

If a lot of these teams have members who are slightly different, these two are polar opposites in every single way. Toru Yano is funny, unpredictable and honestly, it's rare to see him actually wrestle for longer than 5-minutes because there's so much chaos instead. Ishii is as far away from that as possible. He is one of the hardest working men on the New Japan roster with a more serious and focused mindset. He also kicks ass and can take a crazy amount of pain. It's a duo that shouldn't work well.

However, this might just work to their advantage. It's a team where you can expect the unexpected. Yano has caused spoilers before and Ishii is a tournament workhorse. When you combine these two men together, there is the possibility for a team could weirdly have shot at winning. But, they could also be the cause of a lot of spoilers with some good matches.

Shingo Takagi and SANADA

When I first saw this team, I was both really sad and really excited. For the past who knows how many years, SANADA has dominated this tournament with EVIL by his side. I just find it utterly bizarre to see the Cold Skull tagging with anyone else, never mind in a tournament setting. However, if he has to tag with anyone, I'm glad it's Shingo Takagi.

On the surface, both men are such different wrestlers. SANADA's offence is more based on his athleticism combined with a solid mat-based offence which means he can go high-risk but also execute dangerous submissions. On the other hand, Shingo is more of a powerhouse using his strength and speed to dominate his opponent's. If you combine those different skills, you've got a team with the potential to pick up a lot of points. This is even considering the fact that, out of all of the LIJ members, they have the least amount of traditional tag-team experience. 

Can you imagine how dominant this team is going to be? They have to be two of the strongest and most loved wrestlers in New Japan and, with their diverse styles, is going to be a tough team for anyone to beat. I can't even mention that, as Los Ingobernables de Japon members, they both have this ability to read the minds of their team members. They really do need a team though... something cool and badass.

EVIL and Yujiro Takahashi

If I was over the moon that SANADA has found a partner in Shingo Takagi, I don't know how I feel about EVIL's partnership with Yujiro. On the surface, I couldn't care a lot about it. Yujiro has never had the chance to show me that he is a dynamic wrestler and all EVIL seems to do nowadays is cheat and use Dick Togo. It's all becoming a bit too predictable. 

However, as uninterested I am in this team, I am looking forward to their match against fellow Bullet Club members. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Will one team submit to the other or will we see something similar to KENTA v EVIL or Jay v Yujiro from the G1.

In the long run, I guess it cements the two sides of the Bullet Club which seems to be emerging. I don't know whether this team really has a chance of winning the tournament and, unfortunately, it feels like a step down for the former tournament winner EVIL. However, it may be very important going forward and they might surprise us.


Bad Luck Fale and Chase Owens

Your favourite Tongans are back for another World Tag League and I couldn't be happier. It's like seeing a family reunion because it has felt like decades since we've last seen the Rogue General in New Japan. This team is proof that it slowly seems like New Japan is getting back to business as always.

This team literally has everything. You've got the size and muscle of Bad Luck Fale who just seems to get scarier and more dominating as the year's pass... a bit like Suzuki. Then, you've got the Crown Jewel Chase Owens who is fast, athletic and fundamentally sound with his amateur roots. If you combine this with the history between the two and this chemistry they have, it is surely a recipe for success!

The last two years this BC duo have been in the tournament, they have done very well causing spoilers. Maybe, this year could be the year for the duo to shine. With their mix of styles and talents, if they can utilise them properly, it will be hard to get past these two. They are also another team who are in dire need of a team name... 

Great-O-Khan and X

When I first saw the line-up. this was one of the most interesting things I saw in the article. I always find it intriguing whenever I see an X and this is no exception. 

Despite losing to Okada at Power Struggle, there is still no denying that the Great O-Khan is an absolute beast and his record in Rev Pro (46-0) proves that. Commonly, when a Young Lion returns from an excursion, it can take them a while to really find their feet and pick up wins. I can't see that happening with O-Khan. He is going to go into this tournament all fire blazing and causing damage to his opponents.

I can't really say much else because we don't know who his tag partner is. That factor will definitely determine how successful this team could be, but I am invested now and very excited. I do love a good bit of suspense in my tournaments.

Predictions

From the minute World Tag League was announced, I knew my winners. I can't stray away from my Holy Emperor TAICHI and future Prime Minister Zack Sabre Jr. These two are such a joy to watch and just make me smile. Also, if anyone can win the tournament as champions, it's the Suzuki Gun duo. However, there's going to be a lot of people in the running from G.O.D to YOSHI-HASHI and Goto and especially last year's winners FinJuice.

So, that was my preview of this year's tournament. Going from not caring about WTL and being BoSJ orientated, I am surprised at how excited I am now looking at all of the names on the list. Let me know who your picks are to win? Which matches are you most looking forward too?

As always let me know either in the comment on the post of on my social media: (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)! As always, I'm going to plug my YouTube Channel so you should all subscribe to SonalsLife96!

Until next time,

Bye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW