Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

My Favourite Non-WWE Wrestlers

Hi guys,

I always write a lot about WWE and their wrestlers but, nowadays, you don't need to watch them to get your wrestling dose (sometimes there is even a better quality of wrestling away from WWE). I have to say that it wasn't until a year and a bit ago that I really got into other companies and I can't image my life without it now. You've got ROH, TNA, New Japan and the amazing UK promotions: Progress, Defiant, ICW, IPW - the list is endless! I know a lot of these wrestlers in the list seem a bit obvious and mainstream but they really are some of the best wrestlers in the world to me (not just because of their in ring ability but the whole package). I love a lot of other independent guys but these are the ones that I've really connected with the most and just love watching in the ring and out!

Will Ospreay
Will Ospreay is one of those wrestlers that you can't really take your eyes off when he's in the ring! The appropriately named 'Aerial Assassin' is one of the most magnificent in ring performers and he never ceases to amaze me when he steps in the ring and makes it a point to defy gravity in as many ways as possible. It's really rare to see anyone as comfortable with the ropes and high flying moves as Ospreay - for me, these are the best type of wrestlers and I always enjoy seeing the more agile move sets of superstars instead of ground and pound work. Also, I have to admit that Ospreay's heel run (WCPW/ Swords of Essex) was one of my favourite things in the world. There was something about the openly arrogant and cocky character that really drew me in and proved that he meant business! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTdUoq2Ofg&t=141s)  But, any Ospreay is great: whether he's superkicking someone in the face (Jack the Jobber), moonsaulting off a balcony or dancing to Uptown Funk, Will Ospreay is one of the best wrestlers of this generation and, at only 24, his careers only beginning.

Bullet Club (Young Bucks, Scurll, Omega, Rhodes, Page)
So this was is probably the most mainstream at the moment but I am not being sorry for loving these guys - they changed the face of indy pro wrestling! The current faction of Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, Marty Scurll, Hangman Page, Cody Rhodes and the others (I can't list them all) have perfect perfect chemistry and make them probably the most well loved factions in the world. Apart from their amazing charisma (I mean Being The Elite is probably a work of genius), they are all really talented in the ring. We all know Cody is amazing even if the WWE didn't utilise him as much as they should have, but all of the other guys are amazing too and there's nothing I love more than watching a good Superkick Party from those cheeky, innovative Bucks! I've also become obsessed with Hangman Page at the moment, especially his stuff in NJPW, and the pure British class from Scurll. Whether you love them or not, you can't deny that they have style and personality with some kick ass skills that is putting independent wrestling on the map and changing the game.


Mark Andrews
For me, highflying superstars are always my favourite to watch and one of my favourites has to be Mandrews. As well as being in a fucking kick ass band (Junior - check them out), Mark Andrews is one of the most charismatic wrestlers around at the moment. Whether he's jamming out on stage, kicking booty in WWE or moonsaulting off the top rope, he does everything with such style and ease that it looks effortless. He also has a perfect entrance and theme which ties every part of Mark Andrews together: the rocking theme tune (from Junior themselves), the aeroplane on his titantron and his snapback: its pure pop punk bliss! I think that since he went on WWE for the WWE United Kingdom Championship and is now making appearances on NXT and 205 Live, we are really getting to see the talent of Mark! I just hope that WWE let Mandrew's show off his character and who Mark Andrews is instead of just an amazing wrestler!

Joe Hendry
If you haven't heard or seen this guy then please just search him on YouTube because you've been missing out big time! He is definitely a star in the ring, but the pure uniqueness has to come from Hendry's ability to play an amazing character whether he is a face or a heel! As a heel, he is insufferable, cocky and just plain arrogant but that's what makes him a great one! It was such a quick change from the fun loving Local Hero to leader of The Prestige but I think the transition was worked perfectly and he really is generating some genuine heat from the crowds. But, what really made me semi obsessed with Hendry are his amazing entrance videos that he does (less now but all the time in ICW). They are creative, funny and something that hasn't been seen before. He takes well known and well loved songs and turns them on their heads to match up with his opponents. As well as being amazingly witty, he is actually a very good singer and doesn't try too hard! There's been so many people wanting Hendry to go to WWE but I think he's perfect on the independent circuit because he has full creative control of his gimmick, I'd hate to see WWE ruin it!



Obviously, there are so many other wrestlers like British Strong Style (Trent, Dunne and Bate), Ricochet, Jimmy Havoc and the list is absolutely endless! Sometimes, I feel that we're so spoilt with wrestlers and we don't need WWE or the big promotions any more to have some high standard wrestling. I know I might come across as a hipster with all these popular picks but I didn't choose this wrestling life, the wrestling life chose me and chose who I love!

Until Next Time,

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview