Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

WWE Royal Rumble Matches (Men's and Women's) Reaction

Hi guys,

I'm an old lady so I had to wait until this morning to watch the Royal Rumble but by god wasn't it worth the wait. The two rumble matches were so amazing that I can't even do my usual match by match commentary because these two matches alone was worth a post! The men's rumble was obviously amazing but I have to say that, with the curfuffle of the MitB, the women really hit it out of the park in every single way. But, let's not get too excited too quickly...

Men's Royal Rumble: Shinsuke Nakamura
Before I start, I have to say: thank god for the winner because I got really scared that Roman was going to win near the end... imagine that! I'm not a Roman hater but I don't care for him, especially after what he did in the match (more to come later). It started with good ol' Rusev day and by god that pop was something to behold: I love the way that Rusev's embracing the love from the WWE Universe and the fact that his first opponent was Finn, well that set it up for a babyface start! From then on, I mean I can't really complain about the line-up because all of my favourite members of the roster were on it and we did have the great return of Rey Mysterio in such great shape and throwing 619's all over the place. I got to see The Miz, Elias, Heath Slater, Seth Rollins, The Bar and the list in endless... that combined with the fast paced action made it an amazing Royal Rumble match! 
I can't really write in detail about every moment for me that was amazing, so here's a list of them:
  • Those Rusev day chants really give me life - he started the match and lasted a damn long time - please say that this means there a push for the Bulgarian Brute
  • Although I hated Baron being eliminated, how he reacted afterwards was perfect and still kept Baron's tough persona hurting everyone on his way to the back, including poor Heath who is always going to be babe (I mean he actually eliminated Sheamus so he got his limelight)
  • I was even more gutted that Elias got eliminated but he played his way down to the ring, looked fabulous in that flower scarf and made me an extremely happy girl because #TeamElias
  • Sami and Kevin hurting Dillinger was a great way to start a feud especially after the loss to Styles at the start of the night. It cemented Zayn as a proper heel and can maybe mean that Tye's going to get a proper storyline for the first time since he left NXT
  • ADAM COLE BAY BAY... say no more
  • Kofi did it again and is becoming the one person I always look forward to in matches like this. Even though he didn't stay in for as long as I would've liked, the use of pancakes and hopping on one leg is classic Kofi Kingston #legend
  • DOLPH ZIGGLER IS BACK AT NO. 30... oh and then he got eliminated by Finn. For goodness sake WWE, they got me all excited about this and then, once again, ruined it and just disregarded Ziggler as if he's nothing and as if he didn't get that pop for his return (yes I also saw long hair man's poster throughout)
So, I mean what a match and my only sad moment, except Dolph being eliminated, was Roman eliminating Seth... yet I'll let it pass because Roman didn't win and Shinsuke smashed this match and rightfully deserved to win this match! Anticipating AJ Styles v Nakamura is a match that I can't wait to watch and it can't come soon enough!


Women's Royal Rumble: Asuka
However, I have to say that the women really hit it out of the park with this match from the beginning to the end. I think the big way it beat the guys was with the surprises because, whereas the men's only really had Mysterio, this match had names galore from Hall of Famers such as Lita (who really set the tone coming in so early), Beth Pheonix, Jacqueline and Trish Stratus to those like Kelly Kelly, Vickie Guerrero and Molly Holly. I know some people thought it took away from those on the current roster, but it let those legends make history.
There was actually some really great wrestling bouts too and the match never seemed to go stale, which was worrying because with all the hype, there were critics who didn't think it could work in the way it did. I can't even fathom how many good bits there were so, like the men's, here's my list of iconic moments:
  • Naomi just gave us a Kofi moment and it's almost like she combined Kofi's best bits with the hand stand and chair bounce with John Morrison's barricade hopping
  • The way that Nia came out and, although she didn't win, she dominated the match and really showed her strength, especially when coming face to face with the Glamazon Beth Pheonix
  • Speaking of Beth, her encounter with Natalya was perfect because we had that nostalgic love but Nattie kept character and held her own by breaking this emotional moment - #heellife
  • BELLA RETURN! So, many people don't like the Bella Twins but, for me, they were the reasons I started watching WWE because of Total Divas. I gave a small scream when Nikki came out but I fully went into Sonal-Mode when Brie's music hit and she came running down the ring. Nikki's as strong as she's ever been and she's always getting better. Also, I mean Brie's just had a baby and she's in phenomenal shape and energy! Much to everyone's dismay, you can't discount the twins from the Women's revolution!
So I mean, what can I even say about this match. The final entrant being Trish was the best way to end the first Rumble and for me, the final 3 was better than anything I could've expected. Yes there will be critics complaining about the Bellas being with Asuka but it was great, especially with Nikki being the reason for Brie being eliminated - I don't think I could've bared to see anyone else do it. As much as I love the twins, Asuka was the perfect winner and her Asuka lock over the top rope was something magnificent. I think that my only issue was that I didn't get to see the debut of the iconic duo from NXT, however here's hoping we see them tomorrow! For the first ever women's Royal Rumble, they surpassed my expectations and silenced the critics: women can do what men can do and tonight, they showed that they could it better!

I'm sorry I couldn't write about the whole PPV but by god it raised the bar for Wrestlemania and shows why RR is maybe my favourite pay-per-view of the year! ONTO WRESTLEMANIA WE GO!

Until Next Time,

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview