Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

New Japan Factions: Rated

Hi guys,

I think one of the things that is unique about New Japan is the importance of factions - Jay White said it perfectly in January after he returned from excursion, you need to be in a faction to get momentum in the company! All of New Japan's factions are so strong and important to the storylines so they're probably one of my favourite things about the company! In the midst of the G1 where faction loyalties are tested *or turned to ash ehem Jay White*, I thought it'd be a perfect time for me rate the factions and these are all personal opinions!

1. Taguchi Japan/ NJPW Main Unit
I know people might think this is crazy rating but, by god, I love a bit of Taguchi Japan! I think these guys are such an underrated faction because they're never really at the forefront of storylines together, but the lack of drama and stuff shows how strong a faction they are. That's not even thinking about the members of the group who are some of the best in the whole company. You've got the leading funky weapon Taguchi, who manages to make any match hilarious and is full of character, the Ace Tanahashi and the Ace of the Jrs Kushida - I mean its probably got more top names than any of the other factions. That's not even including members like Juice Robinson, David Finlay and part time members like Michael Elgin, Makabe and Jushin Thunder Liger. All members are both bad ass and so charismatic! I think this is why they're my number because, although they have crazy skills and are some of the best in the business, they really just want to have fun and it makes their matches so fun to watch.


2. Los Ingobernables de Japon
If you'd have asked me when I started watching NJPW to do this, then I don't think LIJ would've been this high, but now I just can't get enough of them! They're one of those factions that just ooze charisma and all work perfectly in terms of characters and move sets. I think it always helps a factions effectiveness if they've got a strong leader and Naito is the epitome of that with his Tranquilo attitude but still being able to be badass in matches! This along with the craziness of Takahashi (and Daryl Jr) and the darkness and mysteriousness of Evil, Sanada and Bushi, it makes for one hell of a faction and probably the most cohesive and tight nit of all the groups. Even the NJPW wrestlers have said that LIJ keep themselves to themselves and that really shows that, apart from a bit of pre G1 tension between Sanada and Naito, there's not been any drama or conflict! They're just cool, talented and chilled - what else could you want from a faction!


3. Bullet Club 
So, before anyone says anything, I want to say that Bullet Club are full of some of my all time favourite wrestlers like Kenny Omega, Chase Owens, Hangman Page and the Young Bucks. I would love to put them higher if we look at their ability to attract attention to NJPW, the storylines and the fact I love them. But, as a faction overall, I can't really rate them so high in this list! However, they are still one of the top factions and there is so much talent that it still hurts me to put them this low. Of course everyone knows the talent of the BC Elite and the BC OG (I mean this current storyline is 10/10), but there isn't a weak link of the group. You've got guys like Chase Owens, Ishimorii and Yujiro who are left in the shadows and sometimes underrated, but have tons of talents (especially Owens). I think that once the group sort out their differences, whether it be making peace or splitting into two groups, they have the potential to get back to the number one spot and the dominance they had with Balor and Styles.


4. Chaos
If you'd have asked me a few weeks ago, Chaos probably would have been at the top of this list but maybe my judgement was clouded. At the moment, Chaos has pretty much lost all of its momentum the last few months because they've lost all of their belts (except Goto) and it seems like Chaos are losing their touch and having an existential crisis (mainly Okada tbf). Even though  they're part of an awesome storyline at the moment in the G1, with Jay White trying to take leadership, I can't rate them high in this list and its for the same reasons as the Bullet Club. However, I love the members of the faction and their characters: I mean obviously Jay White and Will Ospreay are two of my favourite wrestlers, but you've got to love a bit of Roppongi 3k and even crazy ass Okada at the moment. Maybe I would have only rated them number one because of Jay White and Ospreay, but looking from a different perspective and them as a faction, I couldn't rate them any higher so so they get number four (but I'll say the gap between them and BC is tiny). It's just collectively, as a faction, they don't have the same connection with the fans that the others do and aren't really at the top of the company anymore,


5. Suzuki Gun
Right, so I know that Suzuki Gun are great and amazing heels but, this is my list, so I can do whatever I want. I am just not a massive fan of Suzuki Gun even though they're great heels and they've got Zack Sabre Jr. who is a fellow Brit. Maybe it's just because I have a zero connection with any of them, from their characters to their wrestling style (which is mostly cheating and ground based submission work). I know, for some people, Suzuki Gun is the ultimate faction, but I just don't find them interesting to watch and I just sometimes find them a bit irrelevant. For example, El Desperado and Kanemaru are the Jr Tag Team champions, but they've really not done anything with it and haven't really given them the same prestige and importance that the Young Bucks (and even Roppongi 3k) gave it. Maybe I'm being too harsh but, out of all the factions, they're the ones whose matches I'm most likely to skip or not be invested in.


So, what are everyone else's thoughts on the factions of New Japan? Am I slightly crazy for putting Taguchi Japan at number one and Suzuki Gun last? Who knows? I do know that this list will probably keep changing, but that's what I love about New Japan, the factions are all so important and vital to storylines and are forever changing! Also, I would definitely recommend watching the G1 at the moment!

Until Next Time

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview