Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

World of Sport Episode 1 - Review

Hi guys,

My last post was basically saying how excited I was to have World of Sport Wrestling back and how amazing the roster is. The first episode has just aired and, after some fear that it wouldn't live up to the hype, I am so relieved that the episode was pretty decent. Here's my review of the debut episode of WOS 2018 and just to note, there will be spoilers in this post - you've been warned!

It was so nice to see Stu Bennett (or Bad News Barrett as a lot of people know him as) in this WOS Executive role, especially as it definitely seems as if he's keeping his well loved heel character alive. Bennett opened with a nice monologue about how he wanted to change the perception of British wrestling as being full of a bunch of baffoons - cue WOS Champion Grado strutting to the ring with a massive smile on his face! Everyone in wrestling has to have a soft spot for Grado and, being the heel, Bennett was quick to say how Grado wasn't the right fit for champion and made a No.1 contendors' match with Maxted, Rampage Brown, Sha Samuels and Justin Sysum and Crater. Brown and Sysum got the win for a triple threat but it was all a bit manic. Roll up, count out and DQ... not a great way to start the show!

After this match, my night got a bit too exciting and I think I might have given my parents a few heart attacks. The commentators hyped up a match and I had a small feeling that I knew who was going to be in it but that didn't stop me from letting out a massive scream when they announced Will Ospreay's name. If you've read some of my other posts, you'll know that Ospreay is one of my favourite wrestlers and I've been lucky enough to have met him. To hear that he was having a match with Davey Boy Smith Jr was a such a great booking and really made for a wicked match. Although Smith won, neither man looked weak and it was a great mix of pure wrestling and the Aerial Assassin's high flying, high risk moveset. This match really made me interested and excited after a first match that was a bit of alright.


My night then got even more exciting with the tag team match where we got the handsome Kip Sabian and Iestyn Rees v Martin Kirby and... MY BOY JOE HENDRY! It was great to hear that ol' entrance music and it was another great match! We got some great offence from all sides and it was weird but cool to see Joe as a babyface, especially after the shocking turn of events where Kirby walked out on the Local Hero - who'd have thought? It was great seeing Sabian and Rees move on in the bracket and it sets up for a potential Hendry/ Kirby feud!


We ended with the WOS Championship match and it was a pretty good match! Grado came out all gung ho, Brown came out to boos with his group and Sysum go a great reception as a pure babyface! It was all a bit quick for me for a championship match, BUT it did what it needed to and showed all stars off in a great light! In the end, Rampage Brown came out victorious and I always like having a heel champion because the heat is always so high and there's so many possibilities for story advancement! 

So, it was overall a great start to the series! What I loved about the show was how it was the perfect display of British wrestling and showed how amazing the scene is! It really tried to make it about wrestling but without compromising the storylines and characters. It wasn't perfect by any means and there were some issues with editing and the replays, too many changes in camera angles and issues with commentary, but it's to be expected with something so new - it can only go up from here! I would have personally put Ospreay on first but I know he's going to be one of the biggest stars of the show and I can't wait for next week!

Let's hope it's the start of something new and amazing!

Until Next Time

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview