Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

#TNG Experience

Hi guys,

I spent my Tuesday night in a small comedy club in the centre of Manchester surrounded by a lot of bodies and dealing with a lack of sleep.

I wouldn't have changed any of it for the world. 

On Tuesday evening, I went to the Frog and Bucket with my friend to watch Tuesday Night Graps (sub-promotion from IPW). What was exciting was the fact that it was my friends first ever live wrestling show. He's obviously watched it but this was his first live experience and I don't know whether to be proud or sorry that this was what I took him too. It was my first time at a Tuesday Night Graps, but I sort of knew what to expect and it met all expectations!

It was the perfect mix of wrestling, story telling, comedy and times where I was like WTF. This was even considering the fact that the card was put together by Dunkzilla very last minute and he didn't even know if everyone would make it (as seen by the lack of Martin Kirby and O.J.M.O)

We got there about half an hour before doors opened and we still managed to get to the front where we could literally lean on the ring and I didn't even need my glasses to see anything *which is a miracle in itself*. I don't want to give away too many spoilers but here are a few of my highlights (which I've realised is pretty much the whole show):

- Rufio v Warren Banks: This entire match was a highlight. It started the show off with a bang and was the first time I'd seen either guys in the ring. Not only did they have this adorable chemistry and banter in the ring, but it was the perfect combination of aerial work and also the basic, technical fundamentals that everyone loves watching in wrestling. I'd love to see these two have another match and it all ended with a shit ton of respect and love.


- Kid Lykos inviting inflatable Chris Brookes managing to steal the entire show in his amazing match against Gene Munny who proudly got by Brookes, even after popping Chris with an elbow drop. .

- Me being the only person in the entire venue cheering for Gabriel Kidd in his match against a post-elixcer G-Man and and a hometown hero! It's probably because I'm bias as Kidd was my first ever interview and has this amazing hybrid British/ Japanese style in the ring.

- Chuck Mambo and Joe Nelson getting really confused by the whole 2-count rule and how it affects every other bit of ring logic because TNG couldn't afford to have the full 3 count for a pin. Apparently it was still a 10 count on the outside and 5 for any shenanigans that are against the rules. Also, turns out Nelson only carries a banana and Mars bar in his lunch box which seems pretty rubbish to me!

- The Deputy Dunne-dertaker and his companion Paul Bearer (yes you read right) came out to an amazing pop and then proceeded to get revenge on the #TNG Sexy Cops (...yes you read right again) with the help of Deputy Joe Nelson and now I think they're dead... I mean I guess they died because the lights went off and the show just ended.


Obviously, the ending of the show left people very confused and wrestlers tweeting this literally as the lights came up didn't help.
All in all, it was an amazing show and one of the best wrestling shows I've been too. Everyone was there to have a great time and, unlike other UK shows, there weren't smart arses shouting stupid stuff at the wrestlers. It was an great night out and was the perfect embodiment of what wrestling should be: entertaining and fun. I think you can probably see that it was one of the most random wrestling shows that's ever been put on in the UK, and that's even when looking at the rest of the Tuesday Night Graps shows.

One thing my friend noticed was the atmosphere and sense of calm and friendliness throughout the venue. Wrestlers were chilling at merch tables talking to fans, taking selfies and selling their merch. I was lucky enough to get to finally meet the one and only Kid Lykos before the show and also  Rufio in the interval where I told him about the perks of a Weatherspoons. That's one of the perks of independent shows, you can meet them without the formalities of buying a meet and greet.

If this is truly the end of Tuesday Night Graps, I'm glad to have even made it to one live show and got to witness all it's craziness, sexiness and pure hilarity. Also, it helped me and my friend come up with a name for our new wrestling podcast so keep an eye out for that because our next episode will be talking about independent shows and of course TNG.

To keep up to date with all things wrestling and be first to know when I post something new on here or a new podcast, follow me on social media (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)!

Until next time,

Bye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview