Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

My Dad's a Heel Wrestler: Review

Hi guys,

I've really been looking forward to writing this post, but I never knew when or if I was going to be able to do it in the first place. Last year, New Japan announced the new film My Dad's a Heel Wrestler, a film that follows a young boy who's dad happens to be a heel wrestler. So, not only did it actually have a really solid plotline, but it also had some of my favourite wrestlers in the world in it. Tanahashi plays the lead role and and then we've got guys like Taguchi, Makabe, Okada and Baretta in it as well. We all got a taster when NJPW put on a match with the characters of the film.



I was so gutted when I found out that it wasn't going to be airing in the UK and when it did a few months ago, it was only in a few places that I just couldn't get too. Luckily,New Japan announced that they were putting the film on New Japan World with English subtitles for NJPWTogether, I think I might have screamed a little bit... or a lot. 

So, on Saturday, I sat down with my mum and some snacks and finally got to watch the film I've been waiting for and here's my review:

IT WAS BLOODY AMAZING!!

Honestly, from the minute the titles ended and Tanahashi's character Takashi Omura appeared with his long locks on the top of a turn buckle, I knew that this was going to be the film for me.

After a serious injury, Omura became a heel wrestler in the form of Gokiburi Mask and the story follows a young boy called Shota who finds out that not only is his dad a wrestler, but the most hated wrestler there is in Lion Pro-Wrestling. Along with his partner Ginbae Mask (played by the Funky Weapon Ryusuke Taguchi), the two create chaos and use any means necessary to win - the complete opposite to the Tanahashi and Taguchi we all know and love now.

The film focuses on the son's emotions and the stages Shota goes through from hating what his dad does to finally being proud of everything his dad achieves. It also looks at this determination from Tanahashi's character to keep wrestling despite all the set backs but also the loyalty to his son because he was willing to sacrifice it all to be the 'normal' dad his son wanted. In the end, both father and son embraced that being a heel isn't such a bad thing and is an essential part of professional wrestling!

Also, there was one female character called Michiko in the movie that was probably the most relate-able person I've ever come across. She was a journalist (me) who had this crazy obsession with heels and wrestling (me) and just wanted to spend her time writing about it (me). Honestly, it felt as if they were thinking of me when they created this character and a lot of people would probably feel the same. However, just because she was a journalist, it just seemed even more scarily like me. She was someone so passionate about the industry and her wrestlers which played a huge role in helping Shota accept his dad.

Really, it was a story that came to life with the amazing acting from both Tanahashi and the young boy who played Shota. It even managed to warm my ice cold heart.

Apart from the really amazing story, there were obviously some amazing wrestling cameos. There was Dragon George (Kazuchika Okada), Hardy (Baretta), Sweet Gorilla Maruyama (Togi Makabe) and even the likes of Kushida, Red Shoes Unno, Marty Asami and all your favourite Young Lions including Shota Umino, Ren Narita and Hirai Kawato and Tomoyuki Oka who are on excursion. We also saw Los Ingobernables Hiromu Takahashi and Tetsuya Naito who even gave us a Tranquilo. Every time one of them came onto the screen, both me and my mum had a bit of a fangirl freak out because it was so bizarre!

What I love most about the film is that it combines wrestling with a really heart-warming story looking at family, friendship and following your dreams. It's an amazing film you could watch with even a non-wrestling fan but is an added bonus for New Japan fans seeing all their favourites in a completely different way.

If you've got NJPWWorld, make sure you drop everything and watch that film now... I mean if you're like me, you won't have much to do anyway. But yeah, watch it alone, watch it with your family or do a watch along with your friends whether they like wrestling or not because you won't regret it; I promise you! If you don't have NJPWWorld, it's worth getting it just to watch the film but also the rest of the amazing content which is a great way to pass the time!


So, hopefully you enjoyed reading about My Dad's a Heel Wrestler and it makes you want to watch it because it was so wroth the wait!

Make sure to give follow me on social media (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)! for some top quality banter! Also, keep an eye out for my fortnightly podcast: https://www.mixcloud.com/WrestlingChatter/ where I talk all things wrestling!

Until next time,

Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview