Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Hi guys, How crazy has 2020 has been? With everything going on in the world, it seems as if 2021 couldn't come any sooner. However, even with all of this negativity, I think it's vital to try and find some positives.  Despite conditions making it hard for the wrestling industry, many companies have thrived during the pandemic. In particular, some wrestlers have managed to make the best out of a bad situation and continue trying to put on shows for fans whether in person or through streaming sites.  To mark the end of another year, I'm back with my annual wrestling MVP list of the wrestlers who have stood out this year. Just a quick note, most of the stuff I've watched this year is Japanese wrestling (NJPW, DDT and TJPW)! Yuka Sakazaki 2020 has been a great year for in the sense that I've had the time to fully get into Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. For me, it's something I regret not doing earlier because it is full of some amazing wrestlers from Miu, Miyu Yamashita

Taichi Appreciation Post

Hi guys,

Recently, I've had a lot of spare time and that means I have a lot of free time to watch more wrestling and as always New Japan is a must. However, recently, I've noticed something that makes me sad during some of the shows. It's watching Taichi matches and hearing the sound of たいち わ かえれ (Taichi wa kaere) echo across the arena.

I mean, I just don't get it. 

Taichi isn't the Holy Emperor for nothing and I just think that he deserves more respect and adoration from the crowds. So, for this week's post, I am going to write a Taichi appreciation post because he is my Holy Emperor and he should be yours too!

1. He is a Great wrestler

I mean you don't become a 2-time IWGP Jr Heavyweight tag champion and 2-time NEVER Openweight champion without talent. As a Junior Heavyweight, he was this perfect combination of agility, speed and a lot of high-risk moves that just made my jaw drop to the ground. Even now, although his move set is so different, it's just as effective. With that added weight and strength, his offence is a lot more brutal and we see a massive range of moves from Taichi ranging from roll-ups, submissions and of course, those spine-tingling kicks and strikes. Personally, my favourite opponent for Taichi is the Stone Pitbull Ishii because he just brings that extra something out of Taichi. I mean, if he's amazing in normal matches, he's phenomenal against Ishii. It's like I'm watching one of the best wrestlers in the world...



As well as being technically profound, he is also very ring smart. Some people might call it cheating, but it's more showcasing his amazing ring awareness and the amount of experience he's had in the ring. Why would you start the match so quickly and get tired out? There's nothing wrong with making your opponent squirm and keep them guessing. Sometimes, you have to play a bit dirty to get the job done and who cares if people don't like it, most of them at least respect it.

2. That Ring Gear

For me, on top of being very handsome (I mean have you see his hair), you have to admit that out of anybody's ring gear in New Japan, Taichi's is the best without a doubt. With the contrasting gold and black with the masquerade mask and then there are the pants... I don't care who has done it in the past or a certain superstar from another promotion doing it now, but fight me if you think anyone can rip their pants off as amazingly as Taichi. Like it's one of the simplest things in the world but is just so effective. I think I've lost count of the number of times the cameraman has missed this spectacular moment and I've had a small cry because, like me, many people see it as the highlight of the match. It's so swift and so smooth that your heart has to melt slightly when you see it.


And I mean if his rippable pants weren't enough, how can we not talk about White Gear Taichi from way back when. In this white and gold gear, he looked like the epitome of an angel sent from the wrestling gods. Like his current gear, there's nothing overly flashy about it but it just screams superstar. Nobody will ever be able to pull off these colour schemes like Taichi and nobody should try.


3. His personality and mental strength

Have you ever just watched someone and thought, by god that person is charismatic? Well, that's me with Taichi every time I turn on New Japan World. Whether he's being cheeky, sneaky or just adorable - it's like the perfect mix of all my favourite qualities in someone. Even though I can't really understand Japanese fluently yet, that doesn't stop me from enjoying what he does which includes putting money in Yoh's pants or when he tried to help Douki in the BoSJ from commentary. Then, when you put that together with the rest of the Suzuki Gun Squad (El Desperado, Kanemaru, ZSJ and sometimes Okaki), it's a recipe for chaos and makes some quality content.



Not only does he have an amazing personality, but he's so strong both mentally and physically. Do you remember that one time where he got whiskey sprayed in his eyes and, even though it was probably one of the most painful and hardest times in his life, he carried on and still enjoys alcohol. How could you not respect someone with so much passion for what he does and the strength to keep fighting through the hardest of times...
4. The Queen Miho Abe

I mean if Taichi wasn't amazing enough, then he is extra amazing because of being the only person who can bless New Japan fans with Miho Abe. Honestly, she is literally the most adorable person in the world and I literally want to be her in every way from e way she looks, her personality and fierce loyalty to the people closest to her.

@AnnetteReid247 from Twitter sent me this about why she loves Miho so much:
'She's the perfect blend of sweet & sexy! She apologizes for all the damage Taichi makes & cleans up after him. Yet, at the same time, she is mischievous & will give Taichi his mic as a weapon. Miho Abe is a gem! Not many in wrestling are loyal to one person anymore yet she has followed him even when Suzuki Gun was banished from NJPW & wrestled in NOAH.' 


I literally couldn't agree with a statement more and it's taken the words right out of my mouth. Combining beauty, brains and smarts, she is a formidable force to be reckoned with and is such a valued and important member of Suzuki Gun. Not only is Miho beautiful in every way, but she has given her heart to Taichi like I have so that means we are basically soul sisters.

5. He's a Musical Genius

So, if all of the reasons above weren't enough to make you love Taichi then what about the fact that he has the voice of an angel! Of course, a lot of wrestlers in the past have sung their own theme songs like Shawn Michaels and Tyler Breeze, but they've got nothing on Taichi. Not only did this man sing his entrance theme but he even sometimes blesses us with live rendition's as he walks down to the ring. Combining an operatic feel with a modern-day feeling, it is the perfect music for any occasion. You're sad, listen to this song. You're angry, listen to this song. You're happy, listen to this song. You need motivation... LISTEN TO THIS SONG! Of course, the theme tune would be nothing without the dulcet tones of Taichi himself and it really just creates this amazing atmosphere in the arena. I remember the first time I heard it live and it sent chills down my spine.

Someone sign this man up for a record deal!


If this post doesn't either confirm or convince you about Taichi's amazingness, then something is definitely wrong with you because what else could you want? Taichi is the best and you can fight me if you think any different!

Also, you can't forget this beautiful gem:


So, if you enjoyed my post and just want some general wrestling banter, make sure to give me a follow on social media (@Wrestling_Chat on Twitter and Wrestling Chatter on FB and WrestlingChatter96 on IG)! for some top quality banter! Also, keep an eye out for my fortnightly podcast: https://www.mixcloud.com/WrestlingChatter/ where I talk all things wrestling!

Until next time,

Bye!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Wrestling MVPs 2020

Introduction to NJPW

World Tag League Preview